Chair, Task Force 2 of IEEE P2030.1 Working Group;
Chair, IEEE Power System Planning and Implementation Committee;
Executive Director of Smart Grid, JUCCCE (Joint US-China Collaboration on Clean Energy)
Dr. ML Chan is Senior Vice President of ML Consulting Group, and Executive Director of Smart Grid, JUCCCE, China.
As Sr. VP, Dr. Chan is responsible for providing consultancy to develop and implement Smart Grid strategies for electric utilities and vendor companies. He guides electric utility companies and regulatory agencies in the following areas:
- Develop business case studies and prepare Smart Grid strategies and resulting roadmaps, including system architecture to assure interoperability
- Implement Smart Grid roadmaps, including process change to support the changes due to new technology integration
- Develop and implement system reliability, system resource, safety and asset management plans for distribution systems, utilizing DMS, distribution automation, distributed renewable and generation, demand response and electric vehicles resources
- Design and acquire DMS, AMI, Substation Automation and Feeder Automation systems by defining system functional and performance requirements, evaluating bids from vendors, negotiating contracts with selected vendors, and ensuring satisfactory system delivery through successful system acceptance testing before commissioning.
By knowing the market needs and what the vendor community offers, Dr. Chan also assists vendors in improving their business ventures in the following areas:
- Develop and implement marketing strategies in securing entries into major global markets for Smart Grid and utility products and systems
- Develop and implement product development and collaboration strategies to enhance market competitiveness in the global market
- Develop partnership, M&A and other collaboration relations to help enter into markets in the utility market
His clientele footprint covers the globe, including China, Americas, Asia Australia, Europe and Africa. Also serving as Executive Director for Smart Grid for JUCCCE, a non-profit organization in China, Dr. Chan introduces overseas Smart Grid technologies into China to accelerate the greening of China’s energy infrastructure.
Dr. Chan is an expert in the areas of Smart Grid and the utilization of computer and communications system technologies to deliver power system reliability, performance improvement, and optimal asset management for utilities. He combines his power system planning and operations expertise to integrate renewable, distributed energy resources, demand responses and load management, AMI/AMR systems, Home Area Network (HAN), feeder automation, substation automation, SCADA, asset condition monitoring, condition-based maintenance (CBM), synchrophasor measurement unit, wide area protection and FACTS technologies into a Smart Grid vision for utilities. The full realization of that vision is made possible when Dr. Chan guides utilities in developing and implementing enterprise IT system architecture to provide business intelligence for utility operations. His environmental resource management background since the 70’s also provides him with significant insight to integrate renewable resources, demand side management, carbon footprint reduction and efficient energy building technologies into utility operations and planning. For more than 30 years, Dr. Chan has provided consulting services to over 70 utilities in the United States and around the world. He has published over 60 technical papers in the open literature, and has given many presentations and speeches in seminars and tutorials. He is the Chair of IEEE Power System Planning and Implementation Committee, Chair of Task Force 2 of IEEE P2030.1 Working Group, and an original member of Executive Advisory Committee for DistrbuTECH Conferences and ELP Executive Conference. He is also on the Editorial Board of IEEE Transactions on Power Systems. Dr. Chan has SB, SM and Electrical Engineer’s degrees from MIT, and PhD from Cornell University. Prior to joining LSIS Company, Ltd. and JUCCCE, he has worked with Energy Resources Company, Tetra Tech, Systems Control, Inc., Energy Management Associates, ECC, Inc., ML Consulting Group, SchlumbergerSema, KEMA, Inc. Quanta Technology, LLC, and LSIS Company, Ltd., Korea.